Friday, 30 April 2010
Friday, 23 April 2010
But the day has arrived and we'll be off to pick up the keys shortly....this will be my last post for a week or so as we are to be disconnected and await reconnection in our new house, which I have been told can take 1-2weeks - I don't know how I will cope without the world wide web for so long but maybe it will make me concentrate on the wallpaper striping, skirting board sandpapering etc a little better without it!
So i'll be back soon, hopefully with good tales to tell :) x
Sunday, 18 April 2010
I will keep you updated when I come to doing some colour tests!
Sunday, 11 April 2010
(left to right, top row - Soda Water; Iron Water; Copper & Vinegar Water; bottom row - Vinegar Water; Copper Water.)
The variety is really clear and I was quite surprised at all the lovely shades that came from the same dyed cloth! I fell for the gold shade which came from the Copper & Vinegar Water solution.
The rest of the silk was then modified and below are a couple of products awaiting photo styling before being added to my shops...
Golden Neck-Tie Silk Scarf
Golden Triangle Silk Scarf
Let me know what you think!
Thursday, 8 April 2010
However as you can see the print is a very subtle shade of green/brown and in some areas of the fabric looked dirty, though I know it isn't, it's part of the print, I'm not sure how a potential buyer would see this. I then remembered that I had bought a jar of turmeric spice powder to experiment with and it was still sitting in the cupboard untouched. So i decided to boil up a pan. I let the turmeric simmer for about an hour before straining the powder from the water and then adding the silk. (Again, my patience was not used in this experiment as I just tossed all the fabric in at once thinking about the spontaneity of it all!)
The fabric simmered gently for about an hour, and once dried gave a startling glow...
It is a lovely shade and great for summer, but I just feel it is too bright for my collection?!
So I decided I would cut a sample to experiment colour modifying with...
And so, out came the cups! I decided that if you're going to test something then you might as well test it thoroughly, and with a bit more caution than I sometimes do; so i mixed up five solutions as below...
From left to right - Copper & Vinegar Water; Copper Water; Vinegar Water; Soda Water; Iron Water.
You can see above after 15 minutes of soaking there was significant colour changes.
Monday, 5 April 2010
I collected foliage from out and about outside my home. In the picture above you can see Ivy, Bracken, Laurel, Rhododendron and dried leaves from autumn, plus the odd flecks of purple are Crocuses that have seen better days.
I'm very curious as to what will emerge differently this time, if anything, and for how long I can wait before opening.....
Saturday, 3 April 2010
Friday, 2 April 2010
Hope everyone has a lovely Easter !